Thursday, March 26, 2009

Backyard Wildlife Habitat

Currently I am in the process of landscaping my backyard. My fiance and I bought our house a few years ago and when we bought it the backyard was dirt. Since then we have installed an automatic sprinkler system and laid sod. We also installed a small pond, planted two trees and have some flowers and vines. (My passionflower vine is my favorite as it is beautiful and attracts the largest bumble bees I have ever seen). I want to take this further and try to make an actual habitat for birds, bees, and butterflies.

I love the outdoors and nature and what could be better then having it in my own backyard? Over the past weekend we have dug up some of the grass that was planted so more plants can be put in. I have a dwarf orange tree in my backyard I plan on moving to the east side so I can plant a larger shade tree on the west side. Then I will start looking at buying more perennials and vines.

This weekend is my county's home and garden show. I am hoping to come out of their with fresh new ideas so I can get started on planting this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Our neighborhood used to be pasture land, so having a real lawn is almost hopeless, though we all try. The soil is georgia red clay, so just digging a hole for a bush takes all day. Be that as it may, we moved here three years ago to a treeless/bushless/flowerless yard, and now have about 8 trees and too many bushes to count, also not counting the leyland cypress along the fence line to hide the neighbors! Slowly but surely, we hope to have an eden.

    ReplyDelete